LEED Performance Score: Understanding the basics
The basics of the LEED Performance Score
LEED Performance Score (formerly known as LEED Dynamic Plaque) is an innovative LEED certification method from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). It involves a one-time prerequisite and base credit submittal, in addition to streamlined monthly data tracking, annual tenant surveys, and indoor air quality (IAQ) testing.
For many buildings, LEED Performance Score (PS) is a more cost-effective certification path, as well as a way to continuously demonstrate sustainable performance to occupants, prospective tenants, and other key stakeholders.
Performance Score vs. Standard Certification
Cost: USGBC program fees for registration and project review are the same for LEED PS and Standard certification. However, PS requires less effort on the part of the property and consultant, so time and money invested should be lower over time.
Timeline: LEED PS certification requires ongoing, continuous tracking of your portfolio’s performance, as well as annual submissions for review and rating from USGBC. The standard certification requires a one-time recertification once every five years.
Recertification requirements: LEED PS requires monthly tracking of energy & water consumption and waste diversion, as well as annual IAQ testing and surveys to gauge tenant satisfaction.
Scoring: LEED PS scoring depends on the benchmarked performance of your portfolio in each of the requirement categories. The ongoing Performance Score project requirements are listed below.
- Energy: Monthly tracking of whole-building energy consumption from all sources, such as electricity, natural gas, etc.
- Water: Monthly tracking of whole-building water usage for all applications, such as HVAC, irrigation, etc.
- Waste: Track monthly waste diversion for all methods, such as recycling, composting, donations, etc.
- Transportation: Administer annual occupant transportation surveys, with the goal of encouraging alternate commuting methods.
- Human Experience: Conduct annual CO2 & VOC testing and annually survey occupant satisfaction
LEED Performance Score Benefits
LEED Performance Score is offered in lieu of the standard LEED EB recertification path. Advantages to maintaining certification via LEED Performance Score include:
- Streamlined process via the Goby, leveraging continuous tracking practices
- Ability to set goals and raise LEED certification level annually
- Future focus on daily operations instead of capital project planning
- Reduced consulting hours and hours spent by your team on project-related tasks
- If desired, display your Performance Score via dynamic hardware in a lobby or common area to demonstrate ongoing sustainable performance